[docbook-apps] RE: HTML -> DocBook Conversion?

Hello Roger,

Is the FrameMaker document already in structured form in
FrameMaker? If not, then this information may not help. I
have webbed a detailed rerecord of my experience with
DocBook+FrameMaker at:

http://www.getnet.net/~swhitlat

Follow the DocBook link on the left.

Because you say you converted the document to HTML first,
perhaps I should have reason to think you already know that
the document must be marked up as a DocBook document. I
expect that a FrameMaker document of any considerable
complexity, without some very intelligent conversion tools,
would probably not fair well in a conversion to DocBook via
HTML.

For a single document, I would probably do the work
manually. However, there could be a solution going to MIF
and then sending the MIF file through some type of
tag-mapping process via Perl or another text manipulation
tool. To learn how to do that would probably take some
people (me) much, much longer than the manual process.

So, for a single document, it's just work. For hundreds or
thousands of documents, a MIF expert who knows the text
conversion tools would be the solution. Some consultants who
fit that category often participate on the various
FrameMaker mailing lists.

Steve Whitlatch