Re: [docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] Bibliographic references and more

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Smith" <smith@xml-doc.org>
To: "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net>
Cc: "Michael Smith" <smith@xml-doc.org>; "Giannis Georgalis"
<jgeorgal@uoc.gr>; <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] Bibliographic references and more

> Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> writes:
>
> > I tested his files, and discovered that the error is generated with
> > xmllint -postvalid but not with xmllint -valid.  I thought that was a
bit
> > odd, since I thought -postvalid should return the same result when there
are
> > no XIncludes in the document.
> >
> > I'm not sure what -postvalid means, since the man page just says it runs
> > validation after parsing is complete.  I asked a question on the libxml2
> > list to get some clarification.
>
> As far as I know, it means it expands any entity references and/or
> xincludes before attempting to validate the document

Well, I thought you could not validate a document unless entity references
are expanded.  In this case, the ID is in the system entity.  If it isn't
expanded, then the file is invalid because the ID would not be found.  But
xmllint -valid reports it as valid.  When I manually include the text from
the entity, it is also valid.  It is only reported as invalid when I
use -postvalid, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net