Re: [docbook-apps] New to DocBook and XML

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 04:48:14PM +0530, SIRIGINA Saraswathi wrote:
> I need some guidance to start off on this journey. As also any
> suggestions as to any free utilities that will convert the existing
> files which are in .doc format into DocBook Format without the problem
> of WordML. There are a large volume of such Technical Bulletins in doc
> format.
>
> I appreciate any suggestions and advise.

Well, there is this:

	http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/

And OOo should be fine for converting Word to OOo format, since
the content is what you're primarily interested in, and not fancy
Word markup.

Don't know how mature the OOo docbook converter is, though. Someone else
may be able to comment on this. But the OOo .sxw format is just
compressed xml, you could always unzip and hack away.

hth,

Jens