Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook production / catalogs with SubVersion?

I'm assuming this was supposed to go to the whole list and you just hit reply by accident. I do that often myself with lists that are misconfigured to not set the Reply-To field. :-) (Not to start that flame war up again, really...)

Anyway, first off Subversion != CVS. Similar, but not the same program. In this case, though, it shouldn't be a huge difference.

As far as I know, however, the entire source tree for the project needs to be available and parsable when you run the XSL scripts. You can't grab part of it, stop, download the rest, and then continue. (Well, if the Xinclude links point to an http URL I guess you could, but that would be very slow.) However you're getting those files, they should all be on your local disk and accessible before you start the XSL script. I don't know why you'd need "faux XInclude" paths for anything. It sounds like you're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Chris Johnson wrote:
Larry,

You're probably not understanding the problem correctly because I'm not
articulating it correctly.  ; )

I guess I'm having some trouble envisiging possible scenarios because
I'm new to CVS:

A. (what I think you have suggested)

1. Ant calls svn to check out the *entire* project to temp dir. This
would include master file, component files, XSL files etc.
2. Ant calls db -> XML mapping tool to obtain latest extract
3. Assemble master file from components with 'faux' XInclude (XSL
stylesheets using xsl:copy, xsl:copy-of) or XInclude-aware XSL
processor
4. Process master file with XSL-T and XSL-FO processors to produce
HTML and PDF 5. Get coffee (my favourite part)

OR some of the component files might be in different svn projects /
directories, I might have to parse each XInclude individually:

B.
  1. Ant opens master document (perhaps from svn)
  2. Ant converts each individual XInclude element to a svn call
  3. Files / projects checked out of svn into a temp directory
  4. Ant calls SQL -> XML mapping tool, stores resulting XML extract in
the same temp directory
  5. With all component files in place, Ant begins to process master
document with 'faux' XInclude (XSL stylesheets using xsl:copy,
xsl:copy-of) or XInclude-aware XSL processor
  6. Ant stores compiled master document in same temp directory
  7. Ant processes compiled master document with XSL-T and XSL-FO
processors  to produce HTML and PDF
  8. get coffee (my favourite part)

Does this make sense?

TIA,

Chris

Chris Johnson

Web Developer
Capilano College
North Vancouver, Canada

604.986.1911 ext. 3455
cjohnson@capcollege.bc.ca

Larry Garfield <larry@garfieldtech.com> 04/26/2005 6:00:35 PM >>>

Perhaps I'm not understanding the problem correctly, but why pull the flat files out of svn as they're being processed? Assuming that they won't change during the compilation, wouldn't an ant-run routine that does the following be sufficient:

- svn update the current version of the files
- extract SQL->XML files (optional if they're as rare as you say)
- start processing the master DocBook file
- Go get coffee while it compiles

XInclude or not, I believe the entire document needs to be parsed at once before processing begins, so you'll need all the files in place anyway before the XSLT scripts can do their thing.

Chris Johnson wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking into using SubVersion to manage some of my docbook

files.

It's a modular document made up of ~120 XIncluded files and a couple

of

database extract (SQL -> XML) files. The flat files are edited
periodically (could be at any time), while the SQL -> XML extracts

occur

when I get the go-ahead (~4-6 times a year).

I would like to manage the flat files with SubVersion, and use XML
catalogs to abstract the calls to SubVersion and the database SQL ->

XML

process.

I envisage something like an Ant process:

- grab the the master XML file , which consists primarily of

XIncludes.

- start processing the XIncludes using XML catalog - the XML catalog would abstract the XIncludes to both SubVersion

for

the latest commits and to SQL -> XML extract process - assemble document - process document to produce HTML and PDF.

Does this sound feasible? Or is there an easier way to achieve this?

Any links to docs / faq's appreciated.

Chris

Chris Johnson

-- Larry Garfield AIM: LOLG42 larry@garfieldtech.com ICQ: 6817012

"If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it." -- Thomas Jefferson