Re: New DTD?

David C. Mason wrote (in private) :
> Eric,
>
> I was looking through your doc pages. Are you guys really going to
> make a KDE specific DTD for your docs? This is something that could
> get real messy.
>
> (snipped : you're fearing that we introduce some incompatibility with other
> docbook projects)

I have submitted your insteresting remarks to the KDE docbook team mailing
list. I will probably get a reply very soon from the guys who wrote the DTD,
Frederik Fouvry and David Rugge.

Until then, I can already tell you that we will not add any new SGML tags. What
a relief, isn't it ? ;-) DocBook is a norm, and we intend to respect it.

Here is what is in the KDE DTD at present time, if I remember well :
- Define an entity for the GPL public licence, so that we don't have to
cut'n'paste it in every doc
- Make the IDs of <chapter>s mandatory, so that Jade produces "human-readable"
file names
- Add support for PNG pictures, because of GIF patent problems

As you can see, all of this may introduce very few compatibilty problems.

> What we need to do is make sure we have a voice with the DocBook
> committee so we can get things added that we collectively think are
> important.

Sure !!! PNG support in DocBook may be one of these enhancements. If I remember
well, we already made the request for enhancement.

Eric
     .~.    "Release of Windows 2000 has been
     /V\      postponed until January 1, 1901"
   //   \\
  /(     )\
    ^^-^^
Eric Bischoff - mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr