Re: DocBook to LaTex?

 * Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

> > > It's no more there, yes. And I don't have a copy of it either. This
> > > script was quite primitive btw, everyone with a scriptable parser (perl,
> > > python, tcl...)  and some knowlegde of DocBook and LaTeX should be able
> > > to write a script that converts a given instance of (a subset of)
> > > DocBook.
> >
> > So what would be the "design" of such a script? I can think of some
> > regexps, but maybe it's not the best way (I never manipulated any XML
> > parser)
>
> Seems that this tool (bcc) can do the job.
> I've just downloaded that and I'll try to convert some documents into
> LaTeX documents.
>

> http://www.multimania.com/jcalles/XML/

Oh dear. This is written in scheme, you need a scheme compiler (bigloo)
to get it up and running. And patience, since this is written in C++,
compiling took its time. The example scripts are a toolchain to convert
the old LinuxDoc-DTD to DocBook (the ld2db stylesheet from the newer
sgmltools does this also very fine, btw.) and then to LaTeX. Since
LinuxDoc is very simple (no tables, no graphics) the supported DocBook
is also quite simple. This surely can be extented (and bigloo comes with
a nice IDE for XEmacs, too), but all the comments in the code are in
french. I haven't even tried to understand what's going on in there.

If I would start to code such a converter, I would use tcl, perl or
python.

        Jochem