Re: Re : db2??????? vs. SGMLTools2 vs. what else?

David Mason wrote:

> Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr> writes:
>
> > Announcement :
> >
> > I have been repackaging completly the DocBook tools and
> > rewritten all db* utilities.
>
> If you name this one "DocBook Tools it will be the third maintained
> DocBook Tools. Whatever you might think, Mark is still maintaining
> DBTools unless he states otherwise. Another fellow has written a

Stop, stop, stop, I don't want to start no flame war.

Mark is maintaining the DocBook tools, this is established and I don't
want to change that.
I was just proposing some enhancements.

I am only proposing myself as the maintainer for the db2* scripts which
have officially "unmaintained" status.

> version for Suse and is using the name, and now you are planning to
> make changes and use the name.

No, no. I am politely suggesting some changes.

> This is just going to cause *great* confusion for the *nix users who
> want good tools. 'Just grab DocBook Tools' "WHICH ONE!!!"

Quiet, slow down, David. I am precisely proposing some enhancements
*here* to avoid another split.

> Please consider renaming it unless Mark gives you maintainer or
> contributor status!

That's it : I just want to contribute.

> Don't misunderstand me either - I say the more tools we have *the
> better*! In fact, I'd like to see more tools for XML (that aren't
> java) for the simple reason that once DocBook hits 5.0 it will only be
> XML.

No, there's no use to have *more tools* if they do exactly the same
thing.

Let me sum up things : when I started looking for some docbook packages
for the KDE project, inspired by your great work for the Gnome project,
David, I had the following opportunities :

- grab the many components (jade, the stylesheets, the jadetex macros,
the iso entities, etc) in several places. No thanks, collecting
mushrooms is only funny when walking outdoors.

- use the sgml-tools 2.0. No way, this project has been suspended

- use the docbook-tools. Hey, fine ! Mark has already been doing the job
!

then we have been using these tools for some time, and run into
problems, that we have fixed with patches, and now I'd like to make the
others profit of my experience. That's all.

--
Eric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for Business!