Re: Crash-course to DocBook

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Eric Bischoff wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm happy to announce the birth of the "Crash-Course to
> DocBook".
>
> You can find it on http://public.lst.de/~eric
>
> It is released under FDL. Feel free to make it evolve.

Great idea! So much to tell, so little time...

On the PSGML page
(http://www.lst.de/~eric/crash-course/HTML/emacs-psgml-mode-tips.html) you
say

"PSGML mode is for SGML DocBook. It does not support XML DocBook."

which isn't true. PSGML has an XML mode that works fine with DocBook. A
group of use it daily (w/ Emacs 20.7) with no problems at all.

You only need to put something like this into your .emacs:

;; load xml-mode
 (autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t)
       (setq auto-mode-alist
       (append (list (cons "\\.xml\\'" 'xml-mode))
       auto-mode-alist)
 )

Along with the path to the declaration.

I started a page of Emacs/PSGML Tips, based on stuff I read in Bob Snee's
SGML CD chapter. It's here:

	http://ed.phy.duke.edu/xml/psgml-tips/index.html

I'd be happy to contribute to your tutorial, as I already spend too much
time showing folks how to do this or that.

Another idea would be to start a database of docbook-user FAQs, we already
have a number of Zope installations that would make it very easy to do
something like this. It would automatically be searchable, and indexed,
etc.

Does that sound useful to anyone?

Mark