Re: Crash-course to DocBook

Mark Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Eric Bischoff wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm happy to announce the birth of the "Crash-Course to
> > DocBook".
> >
> > You can find it on http://public.lst.de/~eric
> >
> > It is released under FDL. Feel free to make it evolve.
> >
> Great idea! So much to tell, so little time...
>
> On the PSGML page
> (http://www.lst.de/~eric/crash-course/HTML/emacs-psgml-mode-tips.html) you
> say
>
> "PSGML mode is for SGML DocBook. It does not support XML DocBook."
>
> which isn't true. PSGML has an XML mode that works fine with DocBook. A
> group of use it daily (w/ Emacs 20.7) with no problems at all.

I did not know that. Please update the guide to remove this
sentence and send it back to me under private mail.

> You only need to put something like this into your .emacs:
>
> ;; load xml-mode
>  (autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t)
>        (setq auto-mode-alist
>        (append (list (cons "\\.xml\\'" 'xml-mode))
>        auto-mode-alist)
>  )

psgml, as packaged for the docbook-tools, doesn't even
require you to do this for SGML ;-). It uses emacs
initialization files to do it for all users on a given
machine.

This suggests I should do the same manipulation in %Post and
%Postun sections of the SPEC file so that it becomes fully
transparent to the user. Would you mind testing it for me
when it's done? (reply in private please).

> Along with the path to the declaration.
>
> I started a page of Emacs/PSGML Tips, based on stuff I read in Bob Snee's
> SGML CD chapter. It's here:
>
>         http://ed.phy.duke.edu/xml/psgml-tips/index.html
>
> I'd be happy to contribute to your tutorial, as I already spend too much
> time showing folks how to do this or that.

With much pleasure! (it's not *my* tutorial - it's a mixture
of David Rugge's one, Mark Galassi's one and mine).

Please feel free to modify this appendix in the DocBook
source file. If we get many collaborators, it should move
under CVS - for the time being attachements to private email
should be enough. Splitting the source into several files
might help as well.

> Another idea would be to start a database of docbook-user FAQs, we already
> have a number of Zope installations that would make it very easy to do
> something like this. It would automatically be searchable, and indexed,
> etc.
>
> Does that sound useful to anyone?

Sure!!!!! We could point to it from the Crash-course.

But isn't already one at DocBook-tools home page? (BTW this
page is slowly becoming outdated).

--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr
                                           \^o~_.