Re: ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com:/pub/docbook-tools/README

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Do you still maintain this package?

Current maintainers are Mark Galassi and me.

> > o The README file only mentions RPMs (s/RPMS/RPMs/, by the way) for Red
> >   Hat, and fails to mention where to obtain the actual sources.

RPMS is the standardized name for the directory holding the RPMs used by
rpm ;-) so capitalization was correct.
The actual sources are in SOURCES/, according to the same standards. In
fact it's a working copy and the real sources come from many origins
upstream, including the one Norm mentions.

Reminder: you can find all those directories in
ftp://sourceware.cgnus.com/pub/docbook-tools/new-trials.

BTW Mark: it's time they move to docware/? I think the new versions are
stable enough by now.

> > o Moreover, it refers to sourceware.cygnus instead of sources.redhat.

I just gave the above address a try and it works.

> > o What is new-trials? (I found out now, but this should go to README
> >   as well, IMO.)

Or new-trials/ moves to docware/ and becomes the official current
release ;-).

> > o I failed to find documentation on how to install all this, that is,
> >   in which order, with which options, etc., on the web page.

This was already mentioned recently here. I did such a page for KDE at
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/install.html and we should definitely adapt it
to the sourceware web pages but so far I had not the time to do that
(and I don't even know if I have the rights). So the web pages are
completly outdated. Mark, your opinion on this?

> > o Those systems I use most of the time (Solaris, FreeBSD) do not use RPM,
> >   is there also a nice .tar.gz available which features a nice configure
> >   script?

Each package now (since last week) comes with its individal makefile as
a patch. Not all already use configure, but Mark convinced me to do that
too. Why are these Makefiles patches? Because upstream most of this
stuff is not unix-specific and works for Windows as well.

I'm currently doing a tgz package for slackware with a slackware guy. So
it's likely we will have both tgz and RPM - if he doesn't resign first
;-). I don't know if this tgz package will adapt to other
non-software-package-aware unices like FreeBSD and Solaris.

--
Éric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for eBusiness