Re: Where, what and how - The future of DocBook

| Fine - which tools are available for writing
| SGML/DocBook on Linux+xBSD or Windows?

The future is XML, not SGML.

| - Emacs and alike tools?

Naturally.

| - Any WYSIWYG editors?

That said, for Windows there are lots of XML editing tools coming
online. For production environments, I would recommend Arbortext's
Epic (disclaimer: I used to work for them). SoftQuad's XMetaL is less
expensive.

| - Any *fast* syntax verification system

James Clark's SP.

| - and what is being made in general

What is being made of what in general?

| Many companies don't accept DocBook - why?

Many companies do. Bug ones. With lots of documentation: Sun, HP,
Novell, etc. Who doesn't accept it (and why do you care that they
don't?)

| Can't we do better???

I'm sure we can.

| What is the future for SGML/DocBook versus XML/DocBook
| - again also regarding tools, the work efford going on
| at the moment etc.

XML is the future. But since XML is SGML, there's no loss here. You
can continue to use your favorite SGML tools. But I don't expect any
more SGML tools to be written. Ever.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--