RE: Line breaks

> | </unorderedlist>
>
> Oh, barf. That's a variablelist and you know it :-)

Well, we already have a definition list that transforms
to variablelist. Our unordered list transforms
to itemizedlist. The former nicely gives us <DL> in HTML,
the latter <UL>.

> Unknown PIs are ignored. Heck, known PIs at unexpected places
> are even ignored.

I'm not familiar with PIs. Are you saying that if we transformed
newline to something like <?linebreak?> it would be passed over
into the HTML where we could globally change it to <BR>?
(though our DocBk instances would be littered with these
"things").

> In XSL, this would be much easier...

Our next step...

> | <aside>Er..uhmm..I am asking these questions in the assumption
> | that a request for including something like "newline"
> | in DocBook would be a vain one - though "newline" is,
> | is it not, structural information?<duck/></aside>
>
> No, it's purely presentational. What semantic meaning does it
> have?  And how do you propose to implement your markup on a PDA
> or speaking cell phone?

Slight pause? :-)
Point conceded, though. I had considered <phrase
role="breakafter>...</phrase>
but it was thought to be too "tedious for authors" ;-)

Thanks and regards,
Marc