Re: Antwort: Re: DAVENPORT: Three more Questions.

"Fred L. Drake" <fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us> wrote:

>   Have you considered using the Python XML extensions?  There's a
> DOM-builder that operates on ESIS output (nsgmls); I'm using for my
> LaTeX->*ML conversion of the standard Python documentation.

Of course I have considered it, but SGMLSP seemed like almost doing
what I wanted (initially), and now I am hesitating every morning
if it wouldn't be better to start over with Python XML...

Is it realistic to use DOM on potentially large documents (200 printed
pages)? My impression is that it uses tons of memory and moreover
insists on keeping the whole tree in memory.

>   (Though I'm hesititant to decide on an output DTD yet!  In spite of
> my recent silence, I'm following recent threads here with great
> interest.)

Now that I freed myself from Jade and DSSSL stylesheets, I feel much
more comfortable with DocBook, knowing that I can extend it as I need
and that I have full control over the output.

Until now I made two extensions to DocBook: I added a tag for default
values of parameters (that's rather Python-specific), and a group of
tags for classes and methods (possibly fine for other languages as
well, but all I care for is Python). This seems to be enough for my
needs, and when I have the first documentation (ScientificPython)
finished, I'll post it all here.