Re: DAVENPORT: Linux documentation

Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 02:53:13PM -0700, Norman Walsh wrote:
> > / "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@virgin.net> was heard to say:
> > | Two quick ones if I may
> > | 1.
> > | Anyone know who the driving
> > | forces are behind the Linux documentation
> > | which is using docbook and Norms stylesheets?
> >
> > There are efforts in both the Linux and Free BSD communities
> > to use DocBook, but I can't name the movers and shakers off
> > the top of my head. You might want to drop by the sgml-tools
> > mailing list (www.sgmltools.org).
>
> For Linux, you want the Linux Documentation Project.  I don't have a URL
> to hand, but Yahoo (or linux.com for that matter) should have details.
>
> For the FreeBSD community, I'm leading the charge.  All of our online
> documentation (such as http://www.freebsd.org/faq/ and
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/) is marked up in DocBook, and then
> converted to HTML and other formats with Norm's stylesheets, plus a few
> local customisations.

There's also a very impressive docset that goes with GTK/GDK and Gnome.

The GTK folks have a very nice stubbing system called gtk-doc that will
generate <funcsynopsis> blocks from an SGML stub and a .h file into
a valid DocBook instance.  (Last I checked, they were using an older
form of Norm's stylesheets, 1.33 or so.)  I think the Gnome folks are
using that system as a baseline for API documentation, and writing new
documents in DocBook.

www.(gtk|gnome).org for more information.

(I'm not sure what the KDE folks are doing, but I don't think it's DocBook
based.)

-- Adam