Re: DocBook-XML and conditional sections

Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:
 > I don't see which one to use for a revision level ("Revision" refers to the
 > level of the document, not the level of the software we document.) May be

Stephane,
  I know Norm suggested "OS", but here's my take:
  Since you're dealing with document revisions rather than revisions
of what's documented, perhaps including all the versions in your text
isn't the right approach.  Why not use a traditional revisions control
system for this?  Each "release" can be tagged, and updates to that
revision can be made on a patches branch for that tag.
  This is completely different from Norm's approach; you'll have to
determine which would work best for your requirements (esp. revision
patterns) and environment.  I just wanted to make sure that a common
way of handling such things isn't overlooked; a lot of people place
code under revision control but not the related documentation, and
I've never figured out a good reason for that.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>