Re: Use of “ and ” (fwd)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 07:58:19AM -0200, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> When converting a document to HTML (either with Jade or OpenJade) with
> the DocBook dsl, the code is shown in the browser.
> When converting the same document to TeX and then to DVI or PS the
> right results (the " signs) are shown.
>
> Where can I look to solve this?

The FreeBSD Doc. Proj. solution is to extend the DocBook DTD.  We have
two entities, %output.print, and %output.html that are set to "INCLUDE"
depending on whether or not we are producing print or HTML output.

In freebsd.dtd, we have a section;

    <![ %output.html; [
    <!ENTITY ldquo  "``">
    <!ENTITY rdquo  "''">
    <!ENTITY lsquo  "`">
    <!ENTITY rsquo  "'">
    <!ENTITY mdash  "--">
    <!ENTITY ndash  "-">
    <!ENTITY hellip "...">
    <!ENTITY dollar "$">
    ]]>

This redefines the meaning of same of the entities we use that I've had
problems with, and works without needing to postprocess the documents,
or otherwise do anything strange with them.

Up to date copies of the DTD (and stylesheets, and assorted other files)
can be grabbed from http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/share/sgml/.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell