From: Colin Paul Adams [mailto:colin@colina.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2000 7:16 PM
To: Steven Maring
Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Xalan 1.0.1 crashing with DocBook XML v4.0
and DocBook XSL v1.13

    Steven> XSL or something in Xalan.  But it sounds like it is
    Steven> having a problem with an entity reference.

    Steven> When I take a simple docbook xml file like:

<snip>

    Steven> and XML parse(w/ Xerces 1.1.1) and XSL process it against

I've just been trying this today - you definitely cannot use Xerces
1.1.1 with Xalan 1.0.1 - you have to use the version of Xerces (1.0.3)
that ships with Xalan 1.0.1.

    Steven> Norman suggested that Xalan might be a little flakey on
    Steven> his sight: "In my tests Xalan (1.0.1) behaved a little
    Steven> badly, but I think that's related to Xalan, not my
    Steven> markup."

I've tried against test.xml in the docbook xsl test directory, and get
the following:

======== Parsing file:/home/colin/docbook/xhtml/docbook.xsl ==========
Parse of file:/home/colin/docbook/xhtml/docbook.xsl took 6557 milliseconds
========= Parsing test.xml ==========
file:/usr/lib/sgml/dbpoolx.mod; Line 1740; Column 3
XSL Error: Could not parse test.xml document!
XSLT: The markup declarations contained or pointed to by the document type
declaration must be well-formed.
Xalan: was not successful.
XSLProcessor: done

The line in question in dbpoolx.mod is just a harmless (?)
<!ENTITY ... >
so it looks flakey to me too.

I've also been trying this with xt (works, but I'm not sure about the
chunking), and fop (doesn't work - looks like fop isn't up-to-date)
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire