Re: Which Variant of DocBook (SGML or XML)?

/ Holger Rauch <Holger.Rauch@heitec.de> was heard to say:
| I would like to know which variant of DocBook is better (SGML or XML). Are
| there any specific reasons when one should stay with one variant but not
| the other? Generally speaking, what are differences between these two
| variants (apart from having to use a different style sheet processor)?

To the greatest extent possible, there are no differences between the
two versions. With an eye to the future, if you have no SGML legacy,
you should use the XML version.

Note that you can process the XML version with either XSL or DSSSL
(because XML is SGML).  (And you could, in theory, process the SGML
version with XSL too, if someone would write an SGML-based XSLT
processor. But don't hold your breath :-)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Pleasure is seldom found where it
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | is sought; our brightest blazes of
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | gladness are commonly kindled by