Representing CDATA sections

Title: Representing CDATA sections

Forgive me if we've already covered this, but I can't find an answer in the docbook or docbook-apps archives...

I'm documenting a chunk of XML markup that contains a CDATA section. I need to show readers the CDATA section, as well as the other elements in the chunk. What's the best way to do this?

Right now, I have everything inside <programlisting> and I've changed all the < and > symbols for the elements to &lt; and &gt;. However, I'm working in XMetaL, and every time I save the file, all the spacing gets messed up. Here's a simplified sample of what I'm talking about:

<programlisting>
&lt;name&gt;
&lt;date&gt;
&lt;![CDATA[