Re: Non breaking spaces or "ties"?

/ Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com> was heard to say:
| How does one encode a non-breaking space (called a "tie"
| in the TeX world)?  In other words, if I enter the text
| "Mr. Jones", I never want the line to break between
| the "Mr." and the "Jones".

Mr.&nbsp;Jones will do it; Mr.&#160;Jones if you don't have nbsp
defined.

| Likewise, how do I encode words to prevent hyphenation?
| Like, my name, which I *never* want hyphenated!  ;-)

Depends on your formatter.

| [Actually, I'm curious what ambitions DocBook has toward
| high-quality typesetting, where considerations like the above
| come into play...]

Again, that depends on your formatter. DocBook is about content,
not presentation.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | All things are contingent. And
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | there is chaos.--Spalding Gray
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |