Re: XML, docbook and SVG

/ Ed Nixon <ed.nixon@LynnParkPlace.org> was heard to say:
| I'm new to the list so the usual FAQ-type apologies. I *have* searched
| the archive, however, without much success.

The TC just[1] agreed to produce an SVG customization layer.

| I'd like to know about using SVG in docbook documents:
|
| - where should I go to find information (other than the strictly SVG sites)?

Read about customizing DocBook[2]

| - what are the issues?

DTDs don't play with Namespaces very well.

| - are there any implementations or examples?

There will be "real soon now".

| - what customizations are needed to allow it to happen?

You need to write a module like, for example, the MathML module[3], that
imports the SVG DTD and then adds svg:svg to the possible content of
imageobject.

| - any number of answers to questions I haven't thought of.

Perhaps :-)

| - based on the 4 hits I got from the search, what's coming down the
| pipe for future versions of the DTD?

I need to write a good summary page for this. Bug fixes, XLink support,
SVG support, and a few other things. You can look at the (now outdated)
RFE pages[4] or the DocBook RFE tracker at SourceForge.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200106/msg00003.html
[2] http://docbook.org/tdg/html/ch05.html
[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/mathml/
[2] http://docbook.org/tdg/html/ch05.html