Including code

I'm writing a manual that includes many code fragments. The manual has
several chapters that are separate files (see "DocBook:...", p. 30). I
would prefer not to insert the actual code into my DocBook chapters, but
rather just a reference to a file that contains the code. Then I can
include code I know compiles and passes a sanity check.

Currently, the only way I know how to accomplish this is to define some
ENTITYs in the master file which refer to the included code. But ---
here's the ugly part --- the definition is in one file, and the use is
in another. For me it's not too bad because I have only a handful of
files, but I can imagine that in the general case it might be a
nightmare.

Is there any way of including a file without having to change the master
file?

Thanks.

-- Vladimir