Re: Describing directory structure in DocBook

>Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 14:07:16 -0400
>From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
>Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Describing directory structure in DocBook
>To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
>
>/ Stephen Rasku <stephen@tgivan.com> was heard to say:
>| Does this type of markup exist or is it being considered for a future
>| version of DocBook?
>
>It doesn't exist now. Off the top of my head, I can't decide if I think
>it's worth doing or not. What benefits would you get beyond the display
>(which you could already do inside a literallayout).

That's the main advantage I saw.  With sophisticated style-sheets it
would be possible to represent the tree graphically instead of with
ASCII art.  It would also be possible to represent it in different
forms.  For example, like this:

	node1-----
      node2     node3
      /   \
    node4  node5

Which, as you can see, is a lot more difficult to represent than the
other form.

--
Stephen Rasku			E-mail:	stephen@tgivan.com
Senior Software Engineer	Web:	http://www.pop-star.net/