expanding acronyms

I have been working on a documentation project where I work for a little
bit and I did a custom xsd and xslt's. I did a little docbook though
working on something for the Linux Documentation Project and I was very
impressed with it. I am trying now to migrate my work into valid docbook
and it has been amazingly simple except for one thing.

The document has a list of acromyns at the begining defined in a set of
<acronymdefinition> tags. Later in the document specific acronyms are
empty tags whose linkend attribute refers back to the id of a definition.
The first appearance of an acronym in a section is expanded with the full
name written out and the acronym following in parens (eXtensible Markup
Language (XML)). The later instances are just the acronym (XML). All of
them are references back to the table of acronyms.

As I am writing this I am perusing the documenation and have this idea:

  <glossary>
    <glossentry id="xml">
      <glossterm>eXtensible Markup Language</glossterm>
      <acronym>XML</acronym>
    </glossentry>
  </glossary>

  <para>
    DocBook is a <xref linkend="xml"/> language for describing software
    manuals
  </para>

I am going pretty much hit and miss currently. I am looking through the
tags for what sounds like something useful, but there are too many to just
read through the spec. Is there a better way to do this than what I
outlined above?

Will Holcomb