Re: Some docbook problems...

[ Most of these are stylesheet and tool issues, follow-ups to
docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org, please. ]

/ Alexander Schatten <alasan@gmx.net> was heard to say:
| (1) I managed to use the xsl stylesheet to produce html and chunked html
| (though the docs are really bad in my opinion and it was playing around
| two nights to detect how it works)

Yes, the documentation could stand improvement. Nevertheless, can you
tell me what docs you read and what concrete suggestions you might
have? (In particular, did you read Bob Stayton's guide to the XSL
stylesheets at http://docbook.org/tdg/html/ch04.html?)

| but I did not manage to produce PDFs using apache FOP processor. it
| works quit good using xep (also with problems e.g. tfooter in table...);

I think I've fixed the tfoot problems in the last week or so (perhaps
not yet checked into CVS).

| will there be an update that works with apache FOP, and nearly more
| important: in Cocoon to dynamically publish docbook to pdf?

The problems with FOP are entirely with FOP, I don't believe there's
anything I can do in the stylesheets to make FOP work better.

| (2) the "index" story is described, at least in my opinion, very
| confusing in the docbook (also the bibliography, ...) book from
| O'Reilly. I added primary index entries ... but no index appears in the
| PDF output ( nor in the html output).

Fair point. Use the fo/autoidx.xsl stylesheet instead of the
fo/docbook.xsl stylesheet and tell me if that helps.

| there is some cryptical line in the book that could be understood, that
| one has to write its own processor to generate the index, but this can
| obviously be no solution to the problem. e.g. because I do not know an
| which pages which index entries will appear (this is done by the XEP or
| FO processor).

Can you say more precisely which line is cryptic?

The short answer is that you do, in fact, need additional tools
support to get indexes. The DocBook markup needs to be sorted,
collated, and formatted. The solutions for this in the XSL stylesheets
and the DSSSL stylesheets are quite different.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | This mortal life is a little
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | thing, lived in a little corner of
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | the earth; and little, too, is the