A novice's questions

Dear listmembers,

I am a novice when it comes to SGML/XML and DocBook, but after having read a
few books on the subjects I am slowly but surely beginning to grasp the idea
behind it all. One thing I have wondered about is the publishing part of
using SGML/XML. I understand one is supposed to use some sort of stylesheet
- e.g. a FOSI, CSS, DSSSL etc - but since these stylesheets can be quite
complicated due to the DTD and difficult to write oneself, are there any
"ready-made" stylesheets that may e.g. output Docbook SGML files in
different sizes and layouts? I am working with hardware and software
documentation (A5 and A4 size).

Another thing I wanted to ask about is what SGML/XML editors you would
recommend working in - freeware like emacs, xml writer or commercial
vendors's tools like Softquad's XMetal or Arbortext's Epic Editor?

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Mats Broberg