Re: A novice's questions

"Broberg, Mats" wrote:

> I am a novice when it comes to SGML/XML and DocBook, but after having read a
> few books on the subjects I am slowly but surely beginning to grasp the idea
> behind it all. One thing I have wondered about is the publishing part of
> using SGML/XML. I understand one is supposed to use some sort of stylesheet
> - e.g. a FOSI, CSS, DSSSL etc - but since these stylesheets can be quite
> complicated due to the DTD and difficult to write oneself, are there any
> "ready-made" stylesheets that may e.g. output Docbook SGML files in
> different sizes and layouts? I am working with hardware and software
> documentation (A5 and A4 size).

You can download DSSSL stylesheets from http://docbook.sourceforge.net/.
Using them together with DSSSL processor like Jade, you can get HTML,
RTF, PS and PDF output from your DocBook document. Things like page size
can be modified by parameters. They are documented in DSSSL stylesheets
documentation which is separate download.

> Another thing I wanted to ask about is what SGML/XML editors you would
> recommend working in - freeware like emacs, xml writer or commercial
> vendors's tools like Softquad's XMetal or Arbortext's Epic Editor?

For many users using things like Epic is much more easier then Emacs. If
you have enough money which you can spent, why not use Epic or XMetaL.
Note that Epic comes with out-of-the-box DocBook support, if you want to
use XMetaL you must create these customizations by yourself.

If you don't need WYSIWYG editing, Emacs + PSGML is very productive
environment once you are familiar with it.

				Jirka