Re: A novice's questions

"Broberg, Mats" <mats.broberg@flir.se> writes:

> [...] Another thing I wanted to ask about is what SGML/XML editors
> you would recommend working in - freeware like emacs, xml writer or
> commercial vendors's tools like Softquad's XMetal or Arbortext's
> Epic Editor?

Try starting with Emacs/PSGML. It's free software and very powerful.
If you're already familiar with Emacs or with other text editors, you
should find it a great environment to work in. If it turns out you're
happy with it, you probably don't need to bother trying anything else.
And if you're not happy with it, you can help improve it by submitting
patches & enhancement requests <http://sourceforge.net/projects/psgml>

But if you want to do any exploration of commercial editors, you might
also look at epcEdit <http://www.epcedit.com/>

It's cross-platform (Linux, Solaris, Windows) and has some of the same
power features as XMetal/Epic -- WYSIWYG editing of CALS and OASIS
Exchange Table Model tables, regex search-and-replace, control over
character formatting during on-screen editing. Non-free software, but
they provide Tcl source code for the user interface at least.

If you have a fast machine, maybe also take at look at Morphon XML
Editor <http://www.morphon.com/>. It's 100 percent Java so will run
anywhere, and has features comparable to epcEdit. It's also non-free
software, but lower cost relative to Epic/XMetal

You can download demo/evaluation copies of both epcEdit and Morphon.