Re: Inter-Document Links between Articles

> From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
>
> "Jason Buckley (Ramesys - Nottingham)" wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to create a link from one article
> > to a specific element in another article, when the two articles are not part
> > of the same higher-level document?
>
> You can use olink to do this. For more info look at TDG:
>
> http://www.docbook.org/tdg/html/olink.html

I should point out that the current version of the XSL
stylesheets don't do anything with olink except print out
the element content text.  That should be fixed in an
upcoming release.

Olink is one of the more tricky elements to use because of
the way it works with a modespec element and possibly an
external olink file.  The olink reference page is not
sufficient for using it.  You'll want to read Norm's paper
"OLink Semantics in the DocBook DSSSL Stylesheets" to
understand olink.  That paper used to be available on
Norm's site, but now it seems to be at:

http://www.fifi.org/doc/docbook-stylesheets-doc/olinksemantics.html

(Norm, is this on SourceForge somewhere other than the SGML
source file in CVS?  I think it needs to be in the Docs
section.)

I have some ideas for expanding the capabilities and use of
olink.  I'd like to hear from anyone who is using or
has tried olink, and what their experiences were.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com