Re: Minutes: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting: 21 Aug 2001

/ Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com> was heard to say:
| On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 02:31:47PM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
| > |    b. Norm to write a concrete proposal for linking in DocBook 5.0
|
|   Hum, assuming DocBook 5.0 is XML only, did you evaluate XLink ? I
| assume you at least looked at it, and if yes do you have an archive
| of pros/cons available ?

Hi Daniel,

The TC has backed off it's "XML-only" position, but the solution will
still be XLink based :-). I don't think any other position would be
defensible. I'm still sortof waiting to see what happens with
XPointer, although I recognize that XLink can be used without it.
What we need is a concrete proposal that addresses a few specific
issues.

1. Do we add a new linking element for XLink or replace the existing
   linking elements with XLink equivalents.

2. Assuming the latter, do we just replace the current linking
   elements with XLink, or do we adopt a more pervasive linking
   solution.

3. Assuming we want to be more pervasive, how pervasive? Should every
   element carry the XLink attributes so that you can link from anywhere
   to anywhere? Or just from inlines? Or ...

4. What do we do about OLink which has no XLink equivalent.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Nothing ever becomes real till it
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | is experienced--even a proverb is
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | no proverb to you until your life