Re: Standard for stock symbols/quotes?

At 10:06 9-10-2001, Barry Hoggard wrote:
>Is there a standard for tagging stock symbols/quotes?  They would typically
>become a link to a web page's quote service.
>
>Should olink be used for that?

Contrary to Bob Stayton's reply, I think so.  The simplest way, it's true,
would be to do something like

<ulink url="stocksymbolURL?XXYZ">XXYZ</ulink>

but this is what we call "tag abuse".  There's no meaning here that says
"XXYZ" is a stock ticker symbol, which is the point of using semantic
markup.  (This does beg the question of whether to use DocBook in the first
place, though.  But let's assume that this is mostly technical
documentation with a few stock ticker symbols thrown in.)

The best way to address this would be by modifying the DTD.  This is why
DocBook is designed to be extensible.  Maybe you can modify corpname to
take a ticker attribute, or introduce a new element called publiccorpname
that requires a ticker.  Either way, you can then modify the stylesheet to
make <corpname ticker="XXYZ">Xenobiology Xytophilia Ytterbic Zoology
Research, Inc.</corpname> generate something like "Xenobiology Xytophilia
Ytterbic Zoology Research, Inc. (XXYZ)" in the output HTML, with "XXYZ" a link.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.