Re: RFE for further modularization of hierarchy; pleasecomment

Hi Michael,
I read your proposal.  There were two things that
came to mind for me.

1.  The DTD is already pretty highly modularized using
marked sections.  The marked sections allow a custom driver
file to INCLUDE or IGNORE element declarations.  Some of
the individual element marked sections are inside larger
marked sections that wrap a related group of elements.  I'm
wondering if this nesting of marked sections could be
extended to include the DTD modules that you envision?  You
could achieve the same effect of selecting modules in the
driver file without proliferating files.

2.  After saying that the DTD is highly modularized, I
have to say (from experience) that it is not completely
modularized.  That is, selecting certain modules to leave
out can leave you with an invalid DTD.  There are a lot
of interconnections among the elements in the way they
are used in parameter entities and content models.
The reason I wrote the LiveDTD utility was to help me
track those interconnections, and to unwind them when
trying to remove an element.  Certainly choosing among the
highest level containers as you propose is less of a
problem than leaving out individual inline elements that
appear in many content models.  But some attention has to
be given to at least documenting the limits to which
modules can be deselected and still have a working DTD.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com