Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

/ Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com> was heard to say:
| Should xlink:type="extended" be forbidden still ? I'm tempted to not
| block them on a general basis. If there is elements with a predefined linking
| semantic, then fixing them at the DTD level makes sense. On the other hand
| blocking the use of advanced linking facilities because you don't
| know a priori how and why they should be used sounds too strong. If
| such construct actually appear that may be something to learn from rather
| than forbid, no ? And the arcrole should take care of the possible different
| semantic that may get applied to links in a given context.

I just don't think extended links make sense for "inline" elements.
It's pretty clear what this means:

  <para>What about the <hardware xlink:type="simple"
  xlink:href="http://www.banzai-institute.com/";>overthruster</hardware>?
  </para>

But what does this mean:

  <para>What about <hardware xlink:type="extended">
    <locator .../>
    <locator .../>
    <locator .../>
    <arc ../>
    <arc ../>
    <arc ../>

It isn't clear what should be rendered or how. (If I had included a
resource element, you could almost guess what to do. Almost.)

I think we can move forward in stages, if we allow only simple links
for now, we can easily add extended links later (in a point-release as
it'd be a backwards compatible change).

Comments?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Nothing ever gets anywhere. The
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | earth keeps turning round and gets
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | nowhere. The moment is the only