Re: Re: Linking: removing linkend

> From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
>
> / Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> was heard to say:
> | Norman Walsh wrote:
> |
> | > Given a PE like this:
> | >
> | > <!ENTITY % xlink-optional-simple-link "
> | >    xlink:type      (simple)        #IMPLIED
> |
> | I think that there should be #FIXED "simple", so one is not forced to
> | add xlink:type="simple" to every start tag with link. This will save
> | typing, but make all instances of particular element simple link. I'm
> | not sure if this is problem, XLink spec. is quite vague in this topic:
>
> I think it would definitely be a problem. A link is a link if and only if
> it's xlink:type is simple.
>
> | "It is not an error for a simple-type element to have no locator (href)
> | attribute value. If a value is not provided, the link is simply
> | untraversable. Such a link may still be useful, for example, to
> | associate properties with the resource by means of XLink attributes."
>
> I don't think that would make much sense in our context.
>
> | > 1. Switch. Remove linkend and break everything all at once.
> |
> | This is not good approach, IMHO.
> |
> | > 2. Allow both in V5 and remove linkend in V6. Stipulating that when both
> | >    are present linkend wins (or xlink:href wins, whichever).
> |
> | In that case, I'm almost sure that linkend will win and we only shift
> | decision of removing it one DocBook version forward. In this light,
> | removing linkend in DocBook 5 doesn't sound silly.
>
> Exactly.

Well, I disagree.
Doesn't removing linkend in DocBook 5 break the protocol
established for backwards incompatible changes (warn
in one major release, remove in next)?  You'll have alot
of unhappy users if you remove linkend in V5.

Besides, why can't they exist together?  I don't understand
the idea of "winning" here.  A linkend (an IDREF)
and an xlink:href (a URI) are not the same thing.
If someone wants to link to something beyond an IDREF, then
they try out xlink.  We get to gradually resolve the
inevitable problems that arise with xlinks, and when
everyone is convinced they supercede linkend, we
remove it in V6.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com