Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

/ Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> was heard to say:
| I'm slowly being convinced that XLinks don't make sense for internal
| links; e.g. linkend. I can still see using them in place of the
| various kinds of external links though.

I'd agree entirely, except that I think the notion of what constitutes
an internal link is going to start to get fuzzy soon. XInclude, for example,
provides functionality very similar to external entities, but whereas all
entities are resolved before DTD validation, XInclude elements won't be.

So as soon as you <xi:include> the chapters of your book instead of
&chap;ing them, you have to use "external links" to cross chapter
boundaries. Unfortunate, perhaps, but there you have it.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | One does what one is; one becomes
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | what one does.--Robert Musil
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |