Re: Transforming SGML

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> > <programlisting><![CDATA[<inlineequation>
> > <alt role="tex">a^2+b^2=c^2</alt>
> > <graphic fileref="a2b2c2.gif"/>
> > </inlineequation>]]></programlisting>
>
> Interesting.  It doesn't make it clear that it's an equation though,
> which is a bad thing in my case.

In DocBook equation is always stored in inlineequation, equation or
informalequation element. My message also contain some excess markup as
I copied it directly from DocBook source. If you want include some
equation you won't type <programlisting><![CDATA[ in your document. It
will look like:

<inlineequation>
<inlinemediaobject>
<imageobject>
<imagedata fileref="eq1.gif"/>
</imageobject>
</inlinemediaobject>
</inlineequation>

or

<inlineequation>
<alt role="tex">a^2+b^2=c^2</alt>
<graphic fileref="a2b2c2.gif"/>
</inlineequation>

> Also why the instance on the graphic element for an inlineequation.
> I doesn't make sense to me.  For print versions it isn't required,
> and for HTML it's easy enough to create a filename on the fly, in
> the same way as we create html filenames on the fly.  The author
> wants to worry about the content of the equation, not whether it's
> been used before somewhere else in the document and worry about
> clashing filenames. IMO.

I understand your position here, but DocBook wasn't designed in this
way.

> An equation would be much more useful as:
>
> <inlineequation type="tex"> some equation </inlineequation>

Using just this brings some accessibility problems (read archives of
this list).

> <inlineequation type="mathml"> some equation </inlineequation>

For now MathML support is not enough mature and it is not avaiable in
most used applications (XML/HTML browsers and editors).

		Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz