Re: Simplfying the ToC content model

/ Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
[...]
| I like the simplicity of it, but if we go with it, I think it might be
| useful to add a "class" attribute on Tocentry, with an enumerated list
| of values that correspond to DocBook component names, like this:
|
|    <!ATTLIST Tocdiv  class (dedication|preface|toc|lot
|                             |part|chapter|article|reference
|                             |bibliography|appendix|glossary
|                             |index|colophon)  #IMPLIED
|                      ... >
[...]
| On the processing side, you'd be able to style those parts differently
| (bigger font or whatever) based on their class attributes. It seems
| like that was maybe part of the rationale for the current Tocfront/
| Tocback/Tocchap/Tocpart division.

I'm sure you're right. One of the problems is that the toc* structure
was never quite the same as the book structure so it was always an odd
fit. And as we added sectioning elements, we neglected to add toc*
elements.

I agree that we want to make it possible for authors to keep hierarchy
information more explicitly than just by containment.

Your proposal speaks of adding a 'class' attribute to tocentry but
then shows it on tocdiv. Are you proposing that we add a tocdiv or was
that a cut-and-paste error from an earlier proposal?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Throughout history the world has
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | been laid waste to ensure the
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | triumph of conceptions that are