distributed colaboration, document centered discussions, etc.

hi there,

I'm sorry if this is a bit offtopic, but I can't think
of a better place to discuss this...

You probably all know the concept of a wiki web, a
(mostly unstructured) way of distributed discussion.
I'v come across another project, which strikes me to
have similar goals:

http://d3e.sourceforge.net/

A (more or less) conventional html document is transformed
into an 'interactive document', i.e. a site which people can
attach discussions, remarks, etc., to.
While this sounds all very interesting, it strikes me that
such a beast would be even more useful done on top of xml,
may be docbook, as I'm particularly interested into Open (Source)
Development projects, where this could help a lot in the
coordination of the (distributed) development process.

There are lots of things possible, here only a few ideas:

* with a special set of stylesheets, the document is transformed
   into html with hooks to attach comments to (by means of cgi scripts,
   etc.) (well, this is basically what d3e does, it appears)

* the document could be stored itself in a configuration management
   system like cvs or similar, so it can evolve in the course, and
   comments could address individual versions.

* by means of a relational DB multiple documents could be connected,
   i.e. some kind of issue tracker could refer to such documents, or
   associated discussions.

There are certainly a lot of other possibilities, but already this
prospect makes me quite euphoric.
Does anybody have experience with such things ? Any thoughts about
the feasability of this, critizism ?

Best regards,
		Stefan