newbie Q's about Simplified DocBook 1.0b2

Hi,

I'm attempting to use Simplified DocBook 1.0b2. I have a couple of questions
about it. I've only dabbled in DocBook before, so please forgive my ignorance
or point me to a FAQ or more appropriate forum if this isn't the place to ask.

1. http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/para.html shows an example wherein a
<para> contains an <itemizedlist>. Simplified DocBook doesn't seem to allow
this. I just want to make sure this was a deliberate change. Is the correct
approach in Simplified DocBook to keep lists as blocks separate from
paragraphs?

2. In my document, I want to provide some examples of command-line input and
program output. I was just going to use <screen>, but that's not available in
Simplified DocBook. Instead of <screen>, I am using
<literallayout class="monospaced" format="linespecific">
and mixing <computeroutput> and <userinput> within it, as necessary.
For example,

<literallayout class="monospaced" format="linespecific"><computeroutput>
$ <userinput>echo foo | tr 'f' 'p'</userinput>
poo
</computeroutput></literallayout>

As with <screen>, I am living with the limitations imposed by being unable to
have xml:space="preserve" on the <literallayout>.

Does this sound like the right way to go about marking up the kind of text I'm
dealing with?

Many thanks,

   - Mike
  mike j. brown                   |  xml/xslt: http://skew.org/xml/