Re: Re: HTML meta description tags

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> / Aaron Isotton <aaron@isotton.com> was heard to say:
> | Is there any way to make docbook (using the XSL stylesheets) output
> | HTML meta description tags? I have searched the mailing lists, and
> | seen that this was last discussed here in 1999 (subject: DOCBOOK:
> | Stylesheet RFC -- "description" meta tag in html). Is there something
> | like that now?
>
> I don't recall the discussion. What goes in a 'description' tag?

The META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="???" tag is used for a
description of the document; Adam Di Carlo thus proposed to use the
content of the bookinfo/articleinfo abstract tag as description; he
also proposed to use the abstract tags of the sectioninfos (or
whatever) as description in the various files for chunked output.

I'd like to have the abstract of the documents in the META DESCRIPTION
tag because it makes it easy to index the content of a site (like for
a site map).

> You can certainly add it your self using user.head.content, but...

Sorry, I don't understand. I just grepped through the docbook
documentation for "user." but didn't find anything like that. Could
you give me a pointer please?

--
Aaron Isotton

http://www.isotton.com/