RE: Request for comments: adding a Fileoutput element (RFE613293)

Greetings,

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 03:35:20PM +0900, Michael Smith wrote:
> ** If you have any interest at all in this issue, please take a minute
>    to think and respond, even if just briefly, about which of the
>    above choices you consider to be the best solution.

I'd like to see a <filecontents> element; however, we need to think
about the precedent it would set.

How many other literal content types are currently being accomodated by
<literallayout>? And if we are willing to split off a <filecontents>
element, why aren't we also splitting off elements for them?

I'm having trouble thinking of other types right now (which is a good
sign, but I'm suffering from a cold so it could just be weakened
faculties ;) ). Anyone?

If indeed there are no significant literal content types that wouldn't
be covered by <screen>, <programlisting>, and a new <filecontents>
element, then perhaps <literallayout> should be deprecated at the same
time <filecontents> is added? I've always found the <literallayout>
element to be a little shady in that its name seems to imply a
presentational meaning as opposed to a descriptive one.

Kevin Yank
Technical Business Director
SitePoint.com - Master the Web!

e: kevin@sitepoint.com