Re: Fwd: Re: Invisible tech symbols

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Doug du Boulay wrote:

]>> The file is well-formed and valid, it produces nice .html and .pdf but
]>> some symbols ("forall" and "and") are invisible (pdf) or look like
]>> small squares (html). Why is it so and how can I fix it ?
]>
]>I dont know what the official answer is, but for html, what I do is
]>replace all the unknown character entities with inline gifs.

	a)	Change the character set to either UTF-8 or UTF-16.
	b)	Add a line to the head section indicating that fact.
	c)	Use SED or PERL to change all the docbook character
			entitites to UTF-8 or UTF-16 character entities.
	d)	Trust that your visitors are using browsers that understand
			XML, XHTML and CSS.

	That only works with HTML.  I can't help with the pdf stuff.

	xan

	jonathon
--

  http://www.eskimo.com/~yijing/index.html

	********

	If this email is sent to a list hosted at Topica.Com
	I will not see _any_ replies, as Topica.Com is listed
	in SPEWS for their persistent spamming, and stated
	intenetion of never requiring confirmed opt-in on the
	lists that they do host.

	Topica.Com obviously does not care that  35% of the
	internet is now permanently closed to them.