Re: subsetting: excluding CALS table

At 21:46 2003 03 03 +0100, Tobias Reif wrote:
>Bob Stayton wrote:
>

>>Create a DTD customization layer that sets:
>><!ENTITY % cals.table.module "IGNORE">
>

>That's how far I got already :)
>Seriously though: thanks for your reply.
>

>>See DocBook: The Definitive Guide for help creating a DTD
>>customization layer.
>

>Yeah, I glanced over it. I just wanted to ask here, since I thought that someone might already have code what I want :)
>

>>If you are planning to replace <table> with something else,
>>then you also need to include those declarations.
>>If your intent is to eliminate <table> completely, then
>>you will need to modify this parameter entity as well
>>to remove 'table':
>><!ENTITY % formal.class
>>                "equation|example|figure|table %local.formal.class;">
>>If you plan to paste in the XHTML table element
>>declarations, be aware that you also need to add the
>>XHTML elements listed in their content models, or rewrite
>>the content models to contain only DocBook elements.
>

>I think I'd like to disallow CALS, then allow for XHTML table elements table, tr, td, etc, and allow for para, inline stuff, etc inside td; but I'm not sure yet.

By doing this, you're making incompatible subsets.
This worries me.

I think the right answer is to have DocBook augment
the DTD so that both CALS and HTML tables are allowed.
Then we avoid the incompatible subset issue, existing
users can continue to use CALS, others can use HTML,
and you can even mix a CALS table and an HTML table
in the same document.

(This issue was discussed in the TC, and the rest of
the TC disagreed with me here, but the fact that users
are now pushing to make incompatible subsets raises
my concerns even more.)

paul