Re: XHTML tables

Tobias Reif wrote:

> It's trivial to cut and paste, then add the prefix via search and
> replace, eg
>
>    :%s/<\(\/\?\)tr\(\_s*\)/<\1h:tr\2/g
>
> etc, then cut and paste into DocBook (or do via some tiny script you can
> run each time). But c'n'p is not the most important reason for inclusion
> anyways, from my POV.

I though that this was point (maybe not yours, but othres who proposed
HTML tables in DocBook) -- allow easy reuse of existing tables in HTML
and make easier to type tables in DocBook for peoples who know HTML. I
think that learning CALS model is for "common user" easier than learn
how to use regexps to add namespace prefix.

>  > <html:table xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>
>  >   <html:tr>
>  >     <html:td>Cell with <emphasis>emphasized words</emphasis></html:td>
>  >   </html:tr>
>  > </html:table>
>
>    xmlns:h="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
> can be set on the root element and/or be set (via "fixed") from the DTD.
> (see the SVG DTD)

Fixed attributes can save typing but in a log term this practice won't
be suitable. Fixed attributes modify infoset and forces you to read
DTD/WXS when you want to process your document. Modern schema languages
like RNG even doesn't support this feature. But yes, meanwhile #FIXED is
a nice trick how to save typing. BTW I'm wondering what will happen to
XLink when people will start using schema languages without fixed
feature.

					Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka at kosek dot cz