Re: [docbook] questions about docbook

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 03:58:59PM -0400, Jeffrey McDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions about docbook documents.  First, I'd like to
> say that I'm a physicist at the University of Pittsburgh and I'm so far
> quite impressed with the docbook packages.  I am writing a couple of
> documents in docbook and I expect that some of my colleagues will be
> willing to follow my lead (I don't know of anyone else in my field using
> docbook).
>
> First, how does one reference and enumerate a bibliography?  I have a
> reference to a document and I would like to "link" it to the reference in
> the text.   In latex terms, this would be the \cite{key} function and the
> "bibitem" would have the same  key.  I have the bibliography in the
> document, but I do not know what I need to link the reference in the
> document to the bibliography entry.

This citation:
<xref  linkend="BrodyArticle"/>

to this bibliography entry:
<biblioentry  id="BrodyArticle">
  <abbrev>brody98</abbrev>
  <author>...
</biblioentry>

will generate this citation text:
[brody98]

At least with the XSL stylesheets.  Are you using XSL or DSSSL?

> Second, there are several equation tags and there are also an adequate
> number of symbols available from ISOtech.ent and ISOamsb.ent.   However it
> seems that all of the equation tags require a figure tag.   If I want to
> write an equation which is simply made of the ISOtech and ISOamsb symbols
> and I don't want it inline in the text, how do I do it?

By figure tag, I presume you mean a title?  There is the equation
tag, but that requires a title.  There is also informalequation,
which does not require a title.  You can enter math text this way:

<informalequation>
  <mediaobject>
    <textobject>
      <phrase>&Psi;(n,k)</phrase>
    </textobject>
  <mediaobject>
<informalequation>

For inline equations, use <inlineequation> and <inlinemediaobject>.

                                            email: bobs at sco dot com