Re: [docbook] DocBook: The Definitive Guide - Copyright Problem

O'Reilly has changed the copyright after the print version of the Definitive Guide had been published:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/web/news/docbooklic_0901.html

Katharina

Tobias Reif wrote:
Yann wrote:

  I'm mailing you because i just read the copyright on
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/dbcpyright.html . I never used
docbook before because I thought that the reference book was NOT free,
as i read it at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/docbook/chapter/book/rights.html.

The (c) on oreilly.com says, we are NOT allowed to redistribute the
document; whereas, the (c) on docbook.org says the book is under FDL, wich
would allow me to modify and redistribute it, without the previous
permission of oreilly.

Which is the correct one? Can I redistribute the oreilly reference book,
or not? I don't really anderstand why there are two licenses... is this a
mistake?

IANAL, but I would think that the oreilly.com license page can not revoke rights that the docbook.org license page clearly grants to you.

I agree with you that the two pages should state the same.

Tobi