Re: [docbook] Supporting several languages

David Garnier <david.garnier@etudier-online.com> writes:

> I have a projects where I need to support a few pieces of
> documentation in several languages (nothing fancy here: english,
> french, german...).

> I'm wondering about the best way to support a single document in
> multiple langages. The simplest way would be to use a file for each
> version, but I'm thinking that using a single document for each
> language would be easier to support.  In this context, each
> paragraph and title would be tagged with its language. Example:

I asked a very similar question several months ago, and got some good
answers:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/docbook/2003-06/msg00029.html

I ended up using separate files, to keep things orderly and less
confusing.  Each file also states which original version it was based
on - since mine is an open source project the translators aren't
always available to make instant updates and it's convenient for
people to be able to compare the translated version number with the
original to see roughly how far behind it is.

You can see the results at http://tcl.apache.org/rivet/html/

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/