[docbook] Re: Switch to W3C/ISO character entity sets

[I'm not sure if docbook@lists.oasis-open.org takes non-member
submissions, if not, Norm could you forward]

> 1. The W3C/ISO sets do not yet have any official public identifiers. I
> propose that we use only a system identifier until such time as the
> W3C/ISO settle that issue.

I'll try to get that fixed as soon as possible.
I think they'll be of the form

PUBLIC "ISO 9573:2004//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN//XML"

But I need to check what the protocol is before issuing a draft set of
entity declarations that have an ISO badged set of public identifiers.

> 2. Users will have to modify the catalogs (or other resolution
> mechanisms) that they employ to avoid hitting the web every time they
> validate with the DTD.

Yes, but that's just the way things are though rather than a problem to
be fixed isn't it? At least once the Public identifiers are in place
there will be a reliable hook for the catalogs to use to enable the
redirection to local copies.

David

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew