Re: [docbook] Putting <xref> inside <type>

I cannot give you the reason why the content model of <type> does not
include xref. But I can give you a way to accomplish what you want.

The DocBook DTD includes many empty parameter entities set up to extend the
content models.  These placeholders all start with 'local' in the name of
the parameter entity. In this case, the <type> element's content model uses
the &smallcptr.char.mix; parameter entity, whose declaration includes an
empty %local.smallcptr.char.mix; parameter entity.  So you can extend the
content model as follows in the internal DTD subset as follows:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC public-id system-id  [
<!ENTITY % local.smallcptr.char.mix "|xref">
]>

The "|" means "or" in DTD syntax, so this will extend the content model of
all elements that use the smallcptr.char.mix parameter entity to include
xref.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting