Re: [docbook] docbook website features

Am Freitag, 20. August 2004 04:33 schrieb Stefan Seefeld:
> hi there,
>
> I'm looking into using db website for a project and I'm wondering
> whether it provides support for the following use case:
>
> I'd like to be able to update at a single place some information
> concerning the project ('news', 'status', 'releases', etc.), and I'd like
> the website to include some links / paragraph etc. at particular
> places related to this information.
>
> Let's assume I have a 'news' page which I add a new paragraph into
> each time I'v got something new to report. I'd like the website
> generator to pick up the latest news and generate some html paragraph /
> headline into the index.html file (say). Is that possible ?

Its not possible out of the box. But you can use XInclude to include the
<para> of your news page into the index page like this

<para>Welcome to my page! Latest news:</para>
<xi:include href="news.xml" xpointer="xpointer(//para[@role='latestnews'])"/>

I assume that you use xsltproc and Makefiles to generate your webpage:
then you have to take care that your Makefile recognizes that index.html has
to be generated whenever news.xml was changed. you will find a modified
version of makefile-dep.xsl which looks for xml:base attributes and adds
dependencies to depends.tabular. And of course you have to add --xinclude to
your xsltproc options in your Makefile. I dont know if it works
out-of-the-box cause i hacked it a long time ago. but it works for me. it
just adds all files which are found in xml:base attributes to the list of
dependencies. if it works it might be a useful patch yor website
distribution.

kind regards,
janning